Monday, June 20, 2011

The perfect cup of coffee...


We take our coffee seriously here at the Pierson household.

Listen, and I shall provide instructions on how to brew the tastiest cup of coffee, ever.

First, you must arise while it is still dark outside. All other members of your household must remain asleep. This is probably the most crucial part of the process.

Stumble into the kitchen. Ignore the whining dog who only wants his breakfast. Move with stealth and surety.

Start with fresh ground beans - one scoop for every two cups.

Use cold, filtered water.

Put beans and water into the coffee maker.

Now, this is the important part. Watch the coffee start to brew. When there is enough to fill your mug, pour yourself a cup.

Do this before the pot has finished.

You will, of course, risk being served divorce papers if your spouse should awaken before you leave for work, and have a cup of coffee from this pot for himself.

Yep, after almost 30 years of marriage, this is the cause of the biggest disagreement between Steve and me. You'd think I'd learn to wait.

But I have trouble denying myself that first, and most flavorful, cup of coffee.

On weekends, when we arise at the same time, Steve actually employs a strategy I believe elementary students refer to as "puppy guarding" around the coffee maker. If I get within a few feet of the brewing pot, he is likely to throw a complete body block in my path.

"Now?" I will whine.

"No, honey," he explains, as if to a four year old, "the coffee isn't ready yet."

Sometimes, if I have made it downstairs a short time before him, he will question me with the tenacity of one of those detectives on Law and Order. And, he never believes me.

"You drank out of this pot already, didn't you?" he'll demand. He pays careful attention to my eyes. I find it impossible to tell lies, but I have, in the case of the first cup, learned to perfect my technique.

"Of course not," I'll reply. "What makes you think I would do something like that?"

Somehow, I think he is still suspicious.

1 comment:

  1. My opinion is if you are the one brewing it, you have earned the right to that first-while-it's-still-brewing- cup of coffee! Of course you could save yourself some trouble and get a Keurig coffee maker. Then you always have the first cup of joe!

    ReplyDelete