Monday, December 17, 2012

We are them...they are us

Along with our entire nation, I have lived the past few days in a haze of shock and grief.  This time, the news is unbearable.  This time, the news has hit too close to home.  This time, I am shaken to the core.

I too am in charge of  young children.  This is a responsibility I carry with joy, always mindful of the privilege I am granted as, each day, parents drop off their children at our front door.  My unspoken promise is to deliver each child back to his/her family at the end of the day.

I have come to the realization that providence plays a huge role in my ability to carry out this task.  I am lucky, we are lucky, that we have never had to face evil at our door.

My grief is deep and profound for the teachers who, when faced with horror on Friday morning, did everything possible to shield their children from harm.  At the same time, I am proud to be a teacher whenever I think of them.

I know in my deepest heart that the teachers at our school would not hesitate to do the same thing.

I have wept at the story of Kaitlin Roig, who barricaded her kids in the bathroom and told them, simply and powerfully, that she loved them.  I wish her peace and healing in the days, months and years ahead.  

If we are fortunate, we find a calling in our lives that lifts us above pettiness and selfishness, an occupation that fills our souls and spirits.  I count myself lucky to have realized that living life with children provides this for me. I am certain that the Sandy Hook teachers also found this magical place in their lives.

Over the years I have also come to realize the strength of my protectiveness about the children in our care.  There was a day last summer when, noticing a strange car in our parking lot, I confronted the owner, a man just angry enough to verbally abuse me for asking him to park somewhere else.

I immediately realized my folly in this action, but in the moment, all I could think of was taking care of the kids. 

There are legions of teachers and caregivers who wouldn't think of their own safety when confronted with the unimaginable.  Sadly for all of us, six of those women gave their lives on Friday.  A small part of each teacher's soul goes with them.  We are them.  They are us.  Rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment