Wednesday, October 27, 2010

NaNo What?....


I'm going to do it.

Growing up, I wanted to be a writer. I wrote poems and stories. I loved term papers. I loved essay tests. I loved to put a pen to paper and let the words begin to flow.

In college, I started out as a Journalism major. I wanted to write feature stories and music reviews. I saw myself as the next indispensable staff member of Rolling Stone. The girl who got to tour with the Stones and live to tell about it.

Then, I listened to conventional wisdom.

Getting a writing job would be next to impossible is what conventional wisdom told me.

So, I lost my courage and decided on a nice and safe English degree instead. Writing? I liked doing it, but what was the point? I was getting married and I needed a job.

And really, I do understand that apart from teaching high school, an English degree does not guarantee an entry level position with a Fortune 500 company. I graduated in the early 80's when greed was good, and business majors ruled the planet. I've paid my dues.

I did get married, found a corporate job, had kids, went back to school to become a teacher (HA, I say, laughing at myself. Should have known all along.) Apart from monthly school newsletters and parent handbooks, writing went on the back burner for a long, long time.

Then, I started hanging around the Compuserve writer's forum.

I began by just lurking. Then I gathered up my last reserve of courage and actually posted a few things.

I was shocked that people didn't tell me to surrender my password and leave the forum. Other writers, farther along in their journeys than I, actually encouraged me.

I cannot express how affirming this was. I became hooked. Besides, I have learned to love writer's lingo. I get all tingly when someone talks about word count, or chunk writing, or author intrusion.

In short, I felt like I had come home.

I've been dabbling for a while. Have a couple of things half-finished. The little voice - you remember conventional wisdom - still whispers to me "What the hell are you doing wasting all of this time in front of a computer?"

I am trying to ignore it.

Then I found out about NaNoWriMo - National Novel Writing Month. The idea is that you write a novel in a month. The month of November, to be exact. So I registered to do it.

I'm certainly not going to talk about the book I have planned, or even share any of it. I just want to write furiously for a short period of time and see what happens. I love the process, and I hope I'll find a few things salvageable about the product. If not, so what?

Wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I wish I could remember all of Robert Dugoni's speech at Surrey. You might have heard talk of it on the forum. He basically tweaked the words to Aragorn's speech in LOTR when they approach the black gate. In effect, the ending was [paraphrasing] "A day may come when we give up, but it is not this day! This day we WRITE!" That's what I'm going to say to myself each and every morning in November. And every one after that

    ReplyDelete